Why not try a Valentine’s night in?
Valentine’s Day is more definitely different when you have a little one or ones to look after, and there seems to be less time for each other. Plus at the moment we are unable to go out on date night. However, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Let’s plan a Valentine’s Night in.
For me, it is often more about the time spent together as a couple and the memories we create together than some chocolates…which quite frankly my waistline does not need!!!!! This year, especially with us being in lockdown, I want to make a little more effort than normal…and no I don’t just mean taking a shower.
This year I will try to have the children in bed or at least upstairs and settled. My children are a little older now so that we can eat together and then snuggle down on the sofa to watch a movie. With this in mind I have put together a short list of easy dinner recipes and solutions which will leave you to enjoy the evening together.
- What could be easier then a dine in for 2 meal? I have often used M&S when I want to keep cooking to a minimum and either their Dine In for £10 or their special Valentine’s Dine In for £20 are sure to be winners.
- Take out, who doesn’t love the ease of a takeaway and nothing could be easier than just picking up the phone and waiting until your meal arrives giving you plenty of time to spend together.
- Pizza, we often make ours but if you are giving yourselves a night off then definitely treat yourself to something extra special. I have my eye on this Waitrose Mushroom and Truffle Sourdough Pizza, yum!
- Why not try something from Cook? They even have a Valentine’s range this year but to be honest it all looks yum and can be delivered.
- An easy meal to cook at home is steak, super quick and you can cook it together teamed up with steamed veg and we also like to make Dauphinoise, this recipe is super easy and once in the oven you can forget about it until it is ready. Plus it can be made, cooked and frozen in advance. That way you just need to taken out the number of portions you would like and heat them up! Win win.
- Why not treat your selves to a hamper? There are hampers out there to suit all budgets and tastes. Ranging from afternoon teas, alcoholic ones, cheese based ones and the list goes on.
- Desert for the win is anything with chocolate. I would opt for chocolate dipped strawberries or even a chocolate fondue if you have one. You can even get your children helping in advance. This way they will feel involved and it will occupy some of the day too.
Now for a Movie
Valentine’s night in is going well. Dinner done, then settle down on the sofa for movie. I am not always one for romantic films so here is a list of some of my movie recommendations. I have tried to steer clear of the generic ones we all know about and include something for you both in there.
- Silver Linings Playbook. A story in of two mentally ill adults find themselves intertwined. Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) moves back in with his parents to try to get back with his ex-wife. He meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) however who has also lost her partner and they form an interesting relationship.
- If Beale Street Could Talk. Set in the 70s it is about Tish and Fonny, their plans for the future get derailed when Fonny is accused and convicted of a crime he didn’t commit.
- Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, not strictly that romantic but the chemistry between Ethan Hunt and Ilsa Faust is great, plus she is a great female action character.
- La La Land. I loved this move and its soundtrack. Telling the tale of Sebastian and Mia who fall in love. However, at the same time they are trying to pursue careers which may or may not bring them together in the end.
- If you prefer fantasy then why not watch Avatar, action, romance and fantasy, win win for me.
- I might try Beginners as I have not seen it IMDB says it is, “A young man is rocked by two announcements from his elderly father: that he has terminal cancer and that he has a young male lover.”
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. A romantic historical film based around a writer Juliet who is trying to document the lives of the Guernsey residents but sharing their experiences of Nazi-occupied Guernsey Island.
- I love A Star is Born. Romance and heartbreak all rolled into one.
- The Shape of Water. Again another fantasy movie but set during the Cold War period in a hidden Government lab. Following a lonely Elisa and what she finds there.
- So no list of mine would be complete with out a Bond in there somewhere. Although all Bonds feature a lot of “romance” the earlier ones are incredible sexist. Casino Royale is perfect though with a great balance of action and love with the amazing Vesper Lynd.
As I started this list I thought it was take me ages but I am now struggling to stop. I realise there are so many great movies out there which have a romantic edge but aren’t all out romance. I didn’t even get round to mentioning and of the following, Jerry Maguire, Titanic, Crazy Rich Asians and of course Dirty Dancing….nobody puts Baby in the corner!!! So you see, a romantic movie can be just what you want it to be.
Or Some Pampering
If movies aren’t your thing when why not indulge in a spot of pampering for you both? Several companies offer great spa boxes which are ideal for an evening of pampering.
- This date night massage box is a great idea and perfect for two.
- I love the smell of Sanctuary Products so why not indulge in a selection of treatments for you face right down to your toes. If your husband or partner would like something a little more manly then try the Temple Spa range. They also do products for us gals too so just slip a little extra something in your basket for you!
- Relax and enjoy some meditation. They are some great online apps and YouTube videos which can talk you through meditation techniques. I have try Yoga Nidra a few times and I love it.
- Spend some time reading together. It doesn’t have to been a book, maybe a comic or newspaper, anything you like. But try to avoid tech to give you some much needed downtime together.
- If gaming is your thing, once the children are in bed they why not have a games night? Whether that is board games or online it is always more fun with 2.
Whatever you decide to do for your Valentine’s night in the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy each others company. It won’t be long until the children are up and this precious time is gone.
Valentine’s Night in by Samphire Photography.